Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Memorial Weekend Camping/Rafting Trip

My husband's best friend from childhood/high school is also in the Army and has been serving in Germany and has not been home in over 3 years. He is currently in town on leave, so we planned a couples camping trip with him, his girlfriend and my husband's sister and brother-in-law for this past weekend. We left home Saturday afternoon and drove 3 hours to Tennessee to our campsite, where we stayed Saturday night and went white-water rafting on Sunday.

I had never been camping until I went with Bruce this very same weekend last year, but it's turned into one of my favorite things to do. We had so much fun playing cornhole, tossing the football, grilling out, sitting around the campfire and making new friends with our fellow campers.

As we were preparing for our trip, someone decided we should have a patriotic/America theme for our white-water rafting trip--and my goodness, the men went all out for this. I think the photos speak for themselves here...

Yep, that's my hubby in the middle..jorts and the stars-and-stripes..."Merica!
The ladies (also, I Pinterested that tank from one of hubby's old tshirts!)
Pre-rafting kisses
Bruce with his big sis and my wonderful sis-in-law
On a more serious note, I want to remember what Memorial Day is really about. Both my grandfather's served overseas, as well as several other family members and friends. My husband was stationed in Italy for several years and also served a year in Afghanistan. I'm so proud of him and the type of man that he is, and I'm thankful for him and all the others who have served and I remember them on this day and all others, especially those who have given their lives for our freedom. 



No comments:

Post a Comment