| Statue in Louis Armstrong Park, near Congo Square |
| Louis Armstrong Park |
| Voodoo priestess Marie Laveau's tomb |
That night we had dinner at The Gumbo Pot, and it was literally the best seafood gumbo I have ever had in my life.
Other things I discovered while in the city that made my trip awesome:
The Ramos Gin Fizz-apparently developed by Henry Ramos in New Orleans 1888 and a local favorite. Bruce and I discovered it at the Carousel Bar, as we watched a bartender break open an egg and add the whites to a drink he was mixing. We asked another couple we'd befriended at the bar beside us, and they encouraged us to go to The Old Absinthe House to try the Ramos gin fizz. We did, and I know, know...egg whites in a drink?! But really, it was amazing...light, frothy, slightly citric....it's a new favorite of mine and I can't wait to try to reproduce it. I'll share a recipe soon if we can create a good replica.
Pralines-Now, my mama makes pralines around the holidays, but it's nothing like these....pure sugar with some butter and pecans thrown in, and just amazing. I sampled one then bought a whole box at The New Orleans School of Cooking General Store and wow....
All in all, we had a wonderful trip, and got to spend a ton of quality time, just the two of us, which is very rare on daily basis. I count myself as a very blessed girl to be married to such a wonderful man, to be able to spend time with him in such a cool city.
No comments:
Post a Comment