Monday, January 13, 2014

Cooking Sunday!

So yesterday Bruce and I did something that we hope is going to hit a few of the different areas we're trying to make some changes in this year. Our hopes are that this will help us eat healthier, save money, and stress less. We grocery shopped yesterday for the entire coming week, and prepared all our breakfasts, lunches, and planned out our dinners. I know there are a lot of people who have been doing this forever; who plan their meals out and shop for a month or so at a time. But for me, and the way I usually live my life, this is a big deal. This is progress, and I'm proud of it. 


Allie helping Bruce crack eggs for breakfast cupcakes, in her Aurora dress
We spent about $60 (I'll have to sit down with Bruce and the receipts for an exact amount, but that's close), and I think that's going to be on the high end of what we should normally spend. However, since we're just starting out with this process, I think it will take a couple weeks to really streamline everything. 

For breakfast, we bought a dozen eggs, a pound of turkey sausage, and a bag of shredded cheese that we used to make breakfast cupcakes to last us the entire week. We are really in love with these cupcakes, so we don't mind at all eating them every day. 

We also bought two whole small chickens (on sale for $0.98 per lb. this week and so much cheaper than chicken any other way!) and got a few really good laughs about me getting all grossed out over having to stick my hand inside the chickens to pull the insides out. (It wasn't really that bad, but they thought it was funny!) We baked them in the oven and are having shredded chicken with brown rice and a vegetable each day for lunch. This week, we're having sweet potatoes on two separate days, zucchini one day, and green beans another day. 



I'm super excited to have all these wonderful, healthy meals pre-made for this week so all we have to do it reach in and grab one for the day. 


For dinner, we also bought a bag of tilapia filets and will be having tilapia and a vegetable a night or two, tilapia tacos one night, turkey sausage and rice one night, and baked chicken and spinach ravioli another night. (Ok, so the ravioli isn't healthy, like, at all, although I like to rationalize that it is- but I was craving it over the weekend, and had already bought the ingredients, so we have to go ahead and eat it!) But we wanted dinners that were quick and easy, so we don't spend a ton of time in the kitchen every night either. 

In addition, we bought pineapple Greek yogurts for afternoon snacks and a few things for Allie's lunches at playschool. These mostly consist of a lunchable or cheese quesadilla, Princess apples, and sometimes yogurt. Oh, and a Capri-sun to drink, always. The kid is really easy to meal-plan for. 

 I'm really excited about this and hoping that it makes our lives a lot healthier, cheaper, and easier! 

1 comment: